Friday 19 May 2023

Difficulty understanding the recorded sayings of joshu.

Hello everyone I am trying to give Zen a shot. I looked at the reading list to get some learning. First, I listened to the audiobook Instant zen by Cleary on the teachings of Foyan. I liked it very much, didn't understand some parts of it. My favorite bits were: the flag is not moving, the wind is not moving, the mind is moving. There is a true person of no rank in the naked mass of flesh, entering and exiting through the sense doors. Do you hear the sound of the valley stream? Gain access through there. Not the bell that chimes, or the wind. notseeking notseeking notseeking seeking. But there were also many teachings that made no sense. Like this one: "What is the bamboo Grove of duofu. One cane two canes slanted."

I have moved on to the next book. Currently trying to read the recorded sayings of joshu(chaochou). Absolutely nothing makes sense in this book. I'm about 300 sayings in and there is nothing I can get from most of the sayings. How do you interpret the taking off of your sandal and putting it on your head after hearing about the killing of a cat?? Or responding to "I've heard you met intimately with nanquan, is it true?" with" in the province of chen large radishes are found"??? This book was in the beginner reading recommmendations on this subreddit btw.



Submitted May 19, 2023 at 03:14PM by Disastrous-Field-906 https://ift.tt/W8PvgHB

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive