Thursday 18 May 2023

Advice on planning a trip to Japan for Study at a Zen Monastery?

So, as ridiculous as this goal may be, I think I am in a position to achieve a lifelong dream of visiting Japan on a pilgrimage for Zen purposes...

I have about a year to prepare, so my main questions are:

-How much money will this take? I am in a uniquely lucky situation enabling me to save more than I have ever been able to, I assume a stay of a month or a few months with a humble "patchrobed monk" perspective / "hippie backpacker hostel-hopping attitude" could be pulled off for between 5 + 10 grand, something like that would be pretty safe / comfortable right?

(By the way "One who has not left home but is on the path is family; one who has left home but is on not on the path is a stranger. One who has not left the path but returned home is a stranger; but one who has left home and not remained on the path is family." (or something like that!)

-How long can an American legally stay in Japan?

-Are there any legal considerations in addition to application for a passport and (I assume) a work visa, if neccessary?

-Are there grants I could look into for academic of religious reasons for travel? (I am not currently the student of a university or member of any Zen/Buddhist organizations which might provide any funding).

-What is the application process to become a "guest" student / monk at any kind of Zen Monestary? How do I research and choose amongst them and begin an application process now? (I figured I would begin a search for simply the largest and most "respected" monasteries that accept foreign "guests" and teach koans, in the Rinzai tradition...

-What am I missing here? Will this work? Am I crazy or is this so crazy it just might work?



Submitted May 19, 2023 at 07:01AM by mosssmonster https://ift.tt/kl7nOwr

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive