Tuesday 2 June 2020

Not sure if I should continue to study Zen

I was reading the Gateless Barrier a little while ago and I found the introduction to be rather surreal. It stated that trying to understand through the words of another was a foolish endeavor, and yet there I was reading their words trying to understand something. I continued reading anyways as it also stated that the determined would push past all obstacles and without determination all that would be achieved was a momentary glimpse.

I read the first two koans and came up with some interpretation of them but ultimately I ended up questioning what it was that I expected from my endeavor. If I finished reading the whole thing what did I think would be different? How reflective might that be of studying Zen in it's entirety? If I read every account of Zen and it's teachings would I be any closer to understanding?



Submitted June 03, 2020 at 02:02AM by brwsingteweb https://ift.tt/2U05iOQ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive