Tuesday 2 June 2020

Looking for guidance on a koan my teacher gave me, just hints. I want to figure out the answer myself.

Greetings! I’ve only really been sitting for a couple years now, and I have 3-4 silent retreats under my belt ranging from 3 days to 2 weeks. Most of my understanding has come from dharma talks and interviews with my teacher, so admittedly I don’t think I have that much experience yet. Anyway.

Paraphrasing, but a bull goes through a window. The head, the legs, the body, all go through, except the tail. Why doesn’t the tail go through?

First time I tried answering, I thought it was some allegory and the bull represented something. Wrong answer- that answer comes from my thinking mind. He gave me the hint with some other stories that at this point I don’t remember, but I feel like the sense was that if you want to teach someone how to meditate, you don’t explain it, you do it, and so I was able to arrive that raising my fist in the air was closer, but not quite it. I’m not quite sure I understand that yet, but I’ve trusted in the practice and I’ve continued meditating.

It’s tough for me, I suppose, since I came into this practice as an offshoot of my meditation classes I took while I was in school. So could someone help explain these ways of thinking and land me closer to figuring out the answer myself?



Submitted June 02, 2020 at 08:10PM by circle_squared2 https://ift.tt/2XqLo1N

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive