Saturday 6 June 2020

Faith

Chinul insists on the need for faith as the first step of the journey to awakening. He adds that the first step must be correct if the journey is to lead to the goal. -- Kensho: The Heart Of Zen, Shambala 1997 pg. 3


Not faith as in "If I pray to Buddha I'll get that Dodge Demon I want soooooo badly because I'm a materialistic know-nothing", but faith as in "I correctly see my true nature as serene emptiness exists (even if I do not see it currently) and my zen study endeavors to reveal this truth to myself".

That kind of faith.

I am always thinking of Prajnatara's advice to the King about inhaling not dwelling in the subject and exhaling not joining in the object.

If all you do is that you are likely spinning in place. To add Chinul's directive you keep the faith (again correct sight) while practicing Prajnatara's breathing. This way the pit of nihilism is straddled right from the beginning. The circle is complete before the first step.

I often hear talk of the "further shore" and wonder how to arrive. Chinul seems to say, "See yourself there already FIRST, and then practice seeing until you see clearly."

How to make a seamless monument? See it whole!

No traveling to far shores. You're there. No building of monuments. It's built.

Does this scan?



Submitted June 07, 2020 at 05:50AM by johnjonesthrownaway8 https://ift.tt/2UknhzA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive