Sunday 10 December 2017

Linji departs

Linji came up to Mount Huangbo in the middle of the summer session. Seeing Huangbo reading a sutra, he said, “I always used to think you were a man. Now I see you’re just a black-bean-eating old priest!”

Linji stayed a few days and then tried to take his leave. Huangbo said, “You came in violation of the rules of the summer session, and now you’re leaving before it’s over.”

“I came for a little while to pay my respects to you, Venerable Priest,” said Linji.

Huangbo hit him and chased him out. After he had gone a few li, Linji, thinking the matter over, returned to the temple and finished the summer session.

One day he took his leave of Huangbo. Huangbo asked, “Where are you going?”

“If I don’t go to Henan, I’ll return to Hebei,” replied Linji.

Huangbo hit at him. Linji seized Huangbo and gave him a slap. Laughing heartily, Huangbo called to his attendant, “Bring me the backrest and armrest that belonged to my late teacher Baizhang.”

“Attendant, bring me some fire!” cried Linji.

“Be that as it may, just take them with you. In the future you’ll cut off the tongues of every man on earth,” said Huangbo.



Submitted December 11, 2017 at 04:46AM by essentialsalts http://ift.tt/2yd5zjC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive