Thursday 16 March 2023

ChatGPT-4 Case 14

So I fed the Sacred Texts version of the cat case into ChatGPT-4 and asked it to provide an alternate translation. Thoughts? Do you think it did well? Any requests on if I should provide more? As for me, I do think some of the wordings seems clearer and I do like the translation. But of course I don't know Chinese.

十四 南泉斬猫

Case 14: Nansen Slices the Cat

南泉和尚因東西堂爭猫兒。

Master Nansen witnessed monks from the Eastern and Western halls fighting over a cat.

泉乃提起云、大衆道得即救、道不得即斬却也。

He picked up the cat and said, "If you can provide a satisfactory answer, I will spare the cat. If not, I will cut it in two."

衆無對。泉遂斬之。

No one could respond, and Nansen cut the cat in half.

晩趙州外歸。 泉擧似州。

Later that evening, Jōshū returned, and Nansen recounted the events to him.

州乃脱履安頭上而出。

Jōshū took off his sandals, placed them on his head, and left the room.

泉云、子若在即救得猫兒。

Nansen said, "If you had been there, the cat would have been saved."

無門曰、且道、趙州頂草鞋意作麼生。

Mumon's Comment: Tell me, what did Jōshū mean when he placed his sandals on his head?

若向者裏下得一轉語、便見南泉令不虚行。

If you can offer a word of insight here, you will see that Nansen's actions were not in vain.

其或未然險。

Otherwise, beware of danger!

無門頌曰:

Mumon's Verse:

趙州若在

Had Jōshū been present,

倒行此令

He would have acted contrary to Nansen;

奪却刀子

Taking the sword from his hands,

南泉乞命

Nansen would beg for his life.

Note: I gave it the original translation so that probably influenced it.



Submitted March 16, 2023 at 01:34PM by dota2nub https://ift.tt/drYZLpA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive