On the day when Yunmen first entered the hall as abbot, the governor of Guangzhou attended in person and said to the master, “Your disciple asks for your valued teaching."
Yunmen said, “There is nothing special to say. It is better if I don’t speak and thereby deceive you all. I’m sorry that I’ve already played the part of a wily old fox for all of you. If a man of clear vision were to suddenly see me now, I’d be the object of laughter. But if I can’t avoid it, then I’ll just ask you all, from the beginning, what’s the big deal? What are you lacking?
I don’t have anything to say.
There’s nothing to be seen. You have to break through to this on your own. And don’t ask silly questions. In my mind there’s just a dark fog.
Tomorrow morning and the day after there are a lot of affairs going on here. If your disposition is to tarry here and not return to your usual lives, to look here and there at the gates and gardens built by the ancients, what point is there in all this?
Do you want to understand? That’s just due to your own quagmire of delusion accumulated for endless eons. You hear someone expound on something and it puts a doubt in your mind, so you ask about Buddha and you ask about the ancestors, looking high and low, searching for a solution, getting caught up in things.
This scheming mind is wide of the mark. It’s always caught up in words and phrases. Isn’t what you require the nonintentioned mind? Don’t be mistaken about this. There’s nothing more to say. Take care!”
AssholeBuddha Commentary:
What have you decided it is going to take to wake up to this? You set your own limitations and you set your own expectations and by them you insist there is a state or a practice that must be cultivated in order to reach the deathless. This is child's play, nothing more.
There is nothing to do, nothing to see, and nothing to say...just take your shits and eat your food until this matter becomes clear to you.
Submitted October 12, 2019 at 01:03AM by AssholeBuddha https://ift.tt/31cS961
No comments:
Post a Comment