Zen master Touzi Datong entered the hall and addressed the monks, saying,
_
“All of you come here searching for some new words and phrases, collecting brilliant things that you intend to stick in your own mouth and repeat.
_
But this old monk’s energy is failing and my lips and tongue are blundering. I don’t have any idle talk to give you.
_
“If you ask me then I will answer you directly.
_
But there is no mystery that can be compared to you, yourself.
_
I won’t teach you some method to collect wisdom. I will never say that above or below there’s a Buddha, a Dharma, something ordinary or something sacred, or that you will find it by sitting with your legs crossed. You all manifest a thousand things.
_
It is the understandings that arise from your own life that you must carry into the future, reaping what you sow.
_
I have nothing to give you here, neither overtly nor by inference. I can only speak to all of you in this manner. If you have doubts then question me.”
_
_
A monk asked, “When it is not received overtly or by inference, then what?”
_
Touzi said, “Are you trying to collect wisdom?”
_
Touzi then left the hall.
_
_
What 'answers' do you spout out from your own collection?
"Mu? A raised fist? Mind is Buddha? Year of the donkey? Nothing to learn? Pass through the no-gate?"
_
You become nothing more than bloody parrot, choking back your own words to play games of pretending to act like what you imagined a Zen Master says and does.
_
Working to improve your balance, lest you get answered the 'wrong' question that doesn't yet have a prepackaged answer from your memorized cheat-sheets.
_
This community won't last forever. Will you still try to force your 'zen' persona' onto yourself and others when it is time for you to move on?
_
Take care of yourselves.
_
_
Submitted December 14, 2018 at 06:32PM by Pikkko https://ift.tt/2Eln0oU
No comments:
Post a Comment