Saturday, 3 November 2018

The Real Shobogenzo: Which of Us is Right?

Dahui's Original Shobogenzo:

"Master Zhenjing, in an address to an assembly, held up his staff and said, “The heart of nirvana is easy to understand; the knowledge of differentiation is hard to clarify.” An ancient said, “If you have support, I give you support; if you have no support, I take your support away.”  I am not that way.  If you have support, I take your support away.  If you have no support, I give you support."

"Now tell me, which of us is right? [tossing down his staff]  What is this? [silence] This is the Naga girl attaining buddhahood all at once.  Otherwise, it is Sunakshatra, falling living into hell."

Text Notes :

  • The Naga girl is a figure from the Lotus sutra, a young girl who attained Buddhahood instantaneously.

  • Sunakshatra was a disciple of Buddha who thought he had reached nirvana when he entered the fourth stage of meditation, and became so conceited that he “fell living into hell.”

.

ewk note: This is a famous Case, disputed, and the dispute became famous. It's easy to misunderstand the dispute without that last line... falling into living hell... otherwise, attaining Buddhahood all at once. Which is it? Who is right?

Dahui's Shobogenzo is an essential text for every Zen student's library.



Submitted November 03, 2018 at 12:58PM by ewk https://ift.tt/2qs7zDk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive