Not Zen? Suppose a person denotes your lineage and your teacher as Buddhism unrelated to Zen, because there are several quotations from Zen patriarchs denouncing seated meditation. Would you be fine saying that your lineage has moved away from Zen and if not, how would you respond to being challenged concerning it?
I have no lineage or teacher. I don't do seated meditation and don't associate it with Zen. If they tried to challenge the masters in the Zen texts I read I'd question what other basis we could possibly use for discussion of the Zen tradition.
What's your text? What text, personal experience, quote from a master, or story from zen lore best reflects your understanding of the essence of zen?
"When you get here how will you ask for instruction? To say the word Buddha is trailing mud and dripping water; to say Ch'an is a face full of shame." - Yuanwu
Dharma low tides? What do you suggest as a course of action for a student wading through a "dharma low-tide"? What do you do when it's like pulling teeth to read, bow, chant, sit, or post on r/zen?
I don't believe in dharma low-tides. I don't do any "Zen practices". I read for pleasure. If I get tired of it I do something else.
Submitted November 04, 2018 at 06:56PM by SoulfulPunk https://ift.tt/2JBZdln
No comments:
Post a Comment