Tuesday 26 May 2020

Koan of The Week: u/Sje397

As Zechuan and Layman Pang were picking tea, the Layman said, "The universe doesn't contain my body - do you see me?"
Zechuan said, "Anyone but me might have answered you."
The layman said, "Having questions and answers is normal."
Zechuan paid no attention.
The layman said, "Didn't you find my question strange just now?"
Zechuan still paid no attention.
The layman shouted and said, "Unmannerly fellow - wait 'till I tell someone with clear eyes about all this."
Zechuan picked up a tea basket and went back.
Xuedou said, "Zechuan only knows how to secure the border - he is unable to live together and die together. At that time he should have pulled down his turban; who would dare call him Layman Pang?"

  • The Measuring Tap (Cleary), case #52 "Zechuan picks tea"

Comment:

Strange and normal, being seen and paying attention - a few things going on in this one. Yuanwu warns:

Some say "might have answered you" indicates having been disturbed, but "one who knows the law fears it," and that is why Zechuan acted as he did.

So, he's not bragging. I guess you've got to have a body in the universe for that. And, he's not disturbed - would you call that concentration or meditation? If you've got nothing to do I suppose it's normal - although that in itself might seem pretty strange.

Question and answer is certainly a tradition in Zen. There are a few times where not answering does come up though - from Buddha's 'shadow of the whip' to Deshan's pat on the back. Are these folks simply that cantankerous? Between 'one-upping' and 'transcending', is it a hair's breadth or an ocean apart?

This is the second time I've come across 'living and dying together' and I don't remember the previous one, but hopefully this helps clarify it a little for you like it did for me. Yuanwu also warns us not to misunderstand because of Xuedou's comment. I mean, what are the clear-eyed folks going to say?

At least they managed to end up with some tea!



Submitted May 26, 2020 at 08:24PM by TFnarcon9 https://ift.tt/2B3IqHG

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive