Friday 29 May 2020

Joshu, sadly

Was reminded of the Zhaozhou poem from BCR (Cleary) case 36 the other day, when I was discussing translation differences with another user. I'm actually surprised it doesn't come up more, given how often a positive emotional valence gets attached to the state of 'enlightenment.'

The cock crows in the early morning;

Sadly I see as I rise how worn out I am;

I haven’t a kilt or a shirt,

Just the semblance of a robe.

My loincloth has no seat, my pants no opening—

On my head are three or five pecks of grey ashes.

Originally I intended to practice to save others;

Who would have thought instead I’d become senile?

I appreciate that the translator makes sadness explicit here - no room for semantics, he sees his body and his clothes and his senility "sadly." Of course, I'm interested in any objections to this translation, as well as mine.

I can't read this and claim Zhaozhou is joyful, happy, or even at peace. Can you?

Does enlightenment change the emotional content of one's experiences?

Is he suffering in his sadness -- and if you say "no," can you communicate your definition of 'sadness' clearly and unambiguously?

If Zhaozhou is 'enlightened,' why does Yuanwu want us to see him clinging to ideas about his own physical body?

If this is what enlightenment looks like, how do you identify somebody who isn't enlightened?



Submitted May 30, 2020 at 12:01AM by in_dee_nile https://ift.tt/2zI9EmP

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive